Sunday, February 8, 2009

There's no place like Nome!

I took the 6 am flight to Anchorage this morning en route to Nome, Alaska for the Nome Career Day (Monday, Febrary 9th). It is not unusual to see beautiful sights during a flight between destinations in Alaska. On many a trip I have watched the Aurora Borealis paint the sky with beautiful green waves that dance majestically next to the plane. During the daylight hours it is not uncommon to capture a glimpse at Mt. McKinley (Denali). Suddenly you hear a rush of excitement among the passengers (tourists and Alaskans alike), and hear the cameras clicking snapshots of the beautiful mountain usually hidden by the clouds but easily visible above 10,000 feet.

This morning as I looked out the window during the early morning flight I was struck by how beautiful and bright the moon was in the dark sky. Although it will be daylight on my way to Nome, I am looking forward to the seeing the beautiful landscapes and mountain ranges which lie ahead.

One of the many views I've seen during my travels in Alaska.

Nome is located on the west coast of Alaska; just a hop, skip and a jump from the Bering Sea.

On Nome's website they tout that "There is no place like Nome!" I was curious, so I checked out their web cam and photo gallery. I have to say it does look like a pretty special place. A couple of things I learned as I browsed their site:
  • Nome is Alaska's oldest continuous first class city, incorporated on April 9, 1901
  • Nome is located on the south coast of the Seward Peninsula facing Norton Sound, part of the Bering Sea
  • The city is the commercial hub of northwestern Alaska, as well as the site for the finish of the 1049-mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race from Anchorage each March.
I have a lot to look forward to! If you're a Nome resident, I look forward to seeing you in Nome!


Caty and me travelling to Dillingham, Alaska

1 comment:

Hope and Brian said...

Love the sunglasses, Lael. :)