Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Cyberinfrastructure Day!!!


Hello, all!

Today I got to check out a few of the lectures at UAF's Cyberinfrastructure Day! I know it sounds like a brain drain, but it was actually pretty sweet. The overall theme of the day was to increase awareness and interest in the field of communication technology, and its component fields. These are fields that range over everything from Mechanical Engineering to Education.

I was able to sit in on Dr. Mike Comberiate of NASA's presentation on communications technology. He and his group C.O.O.L. (Communication Over Obscure Locations) is responsible for approximately 100 awesome communication technology feats over the last 30 years. He is also in the Guinness Book of World Records for the first pole to pole telephone call (North to South Pole). What he was mostly talking about was programming robots to investigate the moon! Back in '04, President Bush espoused an interest in starting a lunar colony, and Dr. Comberiate's research is going directly towards that field. I can't really summarize all of the cool stuff that he talked about in his lecture, but I can say that I wish you were there.

Because Dr. Comberiate has been to both the North Pole and the South Pole, he brought a sample from both pole's to his lecture. Afterwords he invited anyone in the audience who would like to be able to claim that they had stood on both poles at the same time to come to the stage. So, he took my picture, and as soon as he forwards it to me, I'll post it on this blog. I also took a photo with him. Really, he was a great guy. Hopefully, UAF will be getting involved in some of the University-based C.O.O.L. research he's doing (we've got the cold part down, let's see if we can also be COOL). Thanks for reading, and I'll let you know when the next exciting event happens.

-Joe

PS: Click here to see an article about Dr. Comberiate in the Antarctica Sun

No comments: